Sunday, March 21, 2010

Call of Duty

He burst around the corner, sweeping his rifle across the courtyard. It was empty. Staying low, he headed down the street and ducked inside an abandoned shop. Another soldier was waiting for him.

"Are we the only ones left, Brian?" he asked.

"Afraid so," Brian answered.

"So what's the plan?"

"Our target is on the far side of the courtyard," Brian said, gesturing. "Stay low, and watch for enemy fire."

"Right. Let's go."

They exited from different sides of the shop, zigzagging across the treacherous open ground. On the abandoned streets, every step seemed like a crash of thunder.

"Where are they?" he asked.

"I think I see some movement in that two-story building up ahead," Brian replied over the radio.

A hail of gunfire sounded. "Got him," Brian said. "There should be three left. I'm going for the objective."

He watched as Brian left cover, sprinted across the courtyard, and slid behind a bunker.

"I'm going for the plant," Brian said.

"Wait, there's one coming up behind you," he shouted. He raised his rifle and shot the enemy through the head, but Brian was already gone.

"Hell, I guess it's just me then."

Glancing in every direction, he headed toward an abandoned building. An enemy rounded the corner and fired, hitting him in the shoulder as he raised his weapon. He raised his gun and shot, and the enemy soldier went down.

"One to go," he said. Time was almost up; he had to hurry. He ran out of the building and stopped behind the objective, picking up the explosives from Brian's corpse. He knelt next to the target and began to arm the bomb. Suddenly, he felt the gunfire as it hit him in the back. He fell, watching helplessly as the enemy disarmed the bomb.

"Well that sucks," Brian said.

"I know. I always hate losing in overtime," he replied.

"You guys want to play another round?" Andrew asked.

"Sure, why not," he said. "Hopefully we'll win this one."

3 comments:

  1. I would have like this much better if it wasn't called Call of Duty... It ruined the ending for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks brah, just completed my english short story LMAO <3 ill tel you my results.

    ReplyDelete